• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I need to lose a little bit of weight but my meds are effecting my metabolism

dilated_pupils

Bluelighter
OK - basically this all started approx. 2 yrs ago. I went to detox for opiates, went on seroquel and suboxone right away. Within 1 month I gained 25 pounds.

Weight before detox: ~120 pounds
Weight after 1 month on meds: ~145 pounds

I figured it was the seroquel so I immediately stopped taking it after the first month hoping my metabolism would go back to normal. My whole life I've eaten whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, and could not gain a pound.

In fact when I started lifting/working out 6 days a week, 2hrs each day, I had to take weight gainer - was taking up to 8000+ calories a day with still no success in gaining any weight.

Now, it's been 2 years and I've changed a bunch of different meds, and I'm finally down to the right ones. Only med I'm still on from detox days is suboxone, so I kind of feel like that may be the thing messing with me, what do you guys think?

Other than that, I'm on lamictal (for bipolar), klonopin (I know that's not it because I've been on benzos for 7+ yrs now), and adderall (we all know adderall would do the opposite of make me gain weight, not to mention I don't take it every day, it's more like as needed for me).

So what do you all recommend I do? I used to have a six pack, and now I have a little bit of blubber on my stomach/love handles. I've never pictured myself like this... and the weirdest part is, is that I only gain the weight in the stomach/love handle areas, my legs are still pure muscle, my arms are skinny from lack of lifting but not fat at all... I don't get it!

I did try working out numerous times without success in losing ANY weight at all. My diet is pretty crappy, I mean I don't necessarily eat really bad food 24/7 (I eat a lot of healthy stuff especially more so lately, as in low fat yogurts, and cereals), but my issue is I don't eat even 3 meals a day, sometimes I only eat one...

I do have to add, I have horrible insomnia, and it has gotten worse the past few years, but I don't think that could be the cause 100% of why I can't lose any weight.

I have copies of P90X and Insanity, but I'm too out of shape for P90X so I plan on doing Insanity soon. But before I do so, I need some advice here on what to do about my situation. I'm not going to spend hours working out with no results other than some stamina gains.

Please help BL :(

-dp

P.S. - I'm willing to quit the suboxone, in fact I want to, it's been 2yrs and that's just way too long, I can't rely on it forever to keep me clean.

Try cutting back heavily on the carbs.

Id also like to say that nobody gains 0 pounds eating 8000 calories a day. It sounds likely that you over estimated how many you were eating then, as you may be under-estimating how many your eating now.

Try cutting back heavily on the carbs.

Id also like to say that nobody gains 0 pounds eating 8000 calories a day. It sounds likely that you over estimated how many you were eating then, as you may be under-estimating how many your eating now.

Today I ate a 6inch Italian from subway that's it...

And back when I was taking the weight gainer, I swear I was taking 8000 calories just from the protein/weight gainer alone. Plus my meals which were usually some sort of meat. I could not gain any weight. I think over a period of 6 months I gained maybe 5 pounds to be completely honest (and I'm possibly pushing it there). I know it sounds ridiculous but I ate like king all the time before all this med stuff happened, and I didn't gain any weight, although I admit my cholesterol was a little high when I was younger... I've been meaning to get a blood test but my insurance sucks at the moment and can't really afford it. But I'll see what I can do.

Anyone have advice for me though? Please, I really could use some!

-dp

Eating smaller meals more frequently might help. And if all your eating in a day is 1 meal your probably going to need to eat more to stay out of starvation mode.

some of the meds you mentioned often cause ppl to gain weight partly due to a change in metabolism and partly due to decreased activity. ime, the metabolism change from meds can be permanent.

reducing carbs is a good idea as well as getting protein from non-animal sources since your cholesterol has been high. the more processed food is, the worse it is for your body.
you have to eat meals at regular intervals throughout the day. if you only eat a little bit once a day your body will go into "starvation mode" and hang onto every calorie you consume.

i used to never eat breakfast, didn't eat until i'd been up for 6-8 hours. big mistake. since i started making myself eat breakfast, i have more energy and way better mood.

while portion control and good food choices are very important, you absolutely must do aerobic exercise to lose pounds and keep them off.

"going on a diet" is a set up for certain fail cuz when ppl "go off" whatever diet, they go right back to old habits and quickly regain the pounds they lost.
portion control, breakfast, and aerobic exercise are the keys to losing weight and keeping it off.
best of luck to you, dp. you'll get it worked out :)
-izzy

I have some metabolic med related issues as well. The plan I ought to be trying is

A) A small reasonable breakfast followed by exercise. Then my metabolic rate should be higher all day.

B) There are studies that cinnamon stabilizes blood sugar and helps appetite so I oughtdo 2-3 grams of cinnamon about every twelve hours

C) I'd like to get some weights or dumbbells because that would be another means of keeping my metabolic rate higher

D) Cut out alcohol entirely as it is 7 calories per gram and is always converted to fat as its metabolized

E) think about what I'm eating. I like vegetables a lot but I forget to include them in my diet much. Going for healthier lower calorie food is effective and doesn't have the same feelings of deprivation that are often what the undoing of people's diets

There apparently may not be such thing as starvation mode. Google "starvation mode myth" and see for yourself.

I have heard that fat tends to accumulate around your middle when you're under stress, something about being closer to the liver or something. I have no idea if that's right or not, but your stress levels may be something to consider.

The only thing you can really do is decrease caloric intake and increase output. If you're only going to do one thing, decrease intake.

There apparently may not be such thing as starvation mode. Google "starvation mode myth" and see for yourself.

I can testify to the fact that this is a myth. I went from a normal american (read: high calorie) diet to 800cals/day in December and never experienced any kind of starvation mode cessation of weight loss. It's been quick and steady

had to comment on this. When I went to rehab, I also gained weight. They seemed to love to shove fried greasy food down our faces. I wasn't fat, but I was heavier then I had been previously, and was pretty desgusted by it. I just started eating salads and occasionaly switched things up with turkey, chicken, or tuna fish. Cutting out carbs is good advice, but you shouldn't cut them out completely. Just watch your calories. Sometimes choosing foods that are around only 10 calories less then the norm can actually save you alot of intake.

I actually have lost way too much weight over the past year (165-125 lb, 6ft), and it hasn't even been on purpose. I just don't eat the way I used to, and I don't need to exclude any food groups, just balance things out. Also, I found that while initially healthy food doesn't taste as good as junk, it makes you feel so much better and much more energized. If I eat McDonalds now I feel sweaty and hung over, it's gross. good luck with everything.

some of the meds you mentioned often cause ppl to gain weight partly due to a change in metabolism and partly due to decreased activity. ime, the metabolism change from meds can be permanent.

reducing carbs is a good idea as well as getting protein from non-animal sources since your cholesterol has been high. the more processed food is, the worse it is for your body.
you have to eat meals at regular intervals throughout the day. if you only eat a little bit once a day your body will go into "starvation mode" and hang onto every calorie you consume.

i used to never eat breakfast, didn't eat until i'd been up for 6-8 hours. big mistake. since i started making myself eat breakfast, i have more energy and way better mood.

while portion control and good food choices are very important, you absolutely must do aerobic exercise to lose pounds and keep them off.

"going on a diet" is a set up for certain fail cuz when ppl "go off" whatever diet, they go right back to old habits and quickly regain the pounds they lost.
portion control, breakfast, and aerobic exercise are the keys to losing weight and keeping it off.
best of luck to you, dp. you'll get it worked out :)
-izzy

You really think the metabolism changes can be permanent? That's something I was afraid of... I really need to get some blood work done.

I keep trying to work out - the motivation is there, every time I look at myself in the mirror after getting out of the shower or have my shirt off I just look at the layer of fat that's decided to stick around my stomach/love handles... like I said I'm not fat, but it makes me uncomfortable because I feel like eventually it's going to just get way worse (although I have OCD and anxiety issues so I obsess over things like this; my face as well, I used to have perfect skin but I've been battling some acne ever since the med changes as well).

So as I said I have the motivation, but just not the will power (if that makes any sense). After doing some cardio for a short time I'm already out of breath (although I smoke about a pack and a half a day easily, I'm switching to an electronic cigarette soon hopefully that will help) and I just end up feeling wasted real quick so I give up :( I used to love going to the gym and looking ripped, and now I would rather sit down and just watch TV I absolutely hate it.

I think mentally I am just still out of whack, and I am very stressed my life has been a nightmare... I wish I could just totally give up but I at least still have the will power to get up in the morning, which to me is a good thing.

And thanks by the way, I hope I can figure something out.

I have heard that fat tends to accumulate around your middle when you're under stress, something about being closer to the liver or something. I have no idea if that's right or not, but your stress levels may be something to consider.

As I said above I do have a lot of stress, and I've stopped meditating pretty much for reasons unknown to me... I've lost interest in just about everything in life really. I'm sure none of that crap is helping.

In all honesty, I think my life is having much more of an impact on my weight/metabolism than food or my eating habits alone. I'm starting to wonder if some of this is psychological as well... who knows?

-dp

DP-
When I quit smoking gaining weight was one of my horrors. What I did was to eat small amounts of raw veggies every 2 hours. I lost weight because by eating the veggies in the small amount of time, it sped up my metabolism. My body learned that it wasnt gonna starve and stopped storing fat. I'd try that approach.

Eating smaller meals more frequently might help. And if all your eating in a day is 1 meal your probably going to need to eat more to stay out of starvation mode.

This.

Eating smaller meals makes your metabolism run really smoothly, like 4/5 (even 6 meals like the Okinawans) meals per day.

As Amebix said about starvation mode - it's totally true, as soon as you start feeling hungry, your metabolism slows down and prepares for the need to preserve your weight.

One person once told me NEVER get hungry, as soon as you feel hunger pangs eat.

Make sure it's not the fake hunger though - the feeling of heavy digestion or whatever, although I'm pretty sure you'll work out the difference easily enough.

I'm like you used to be before detox dude, find it practically impossible hard to put on any real weight without going to the gym.

I think you've probably just gotten older. Fat becomes more difficult to shift and you have to work harder to shift it. The weight gain was probably a combination of the seroquel and just generally getting clean (generally includes a change of lifestyle- maybe more time with family and homecooked meals and food on demand)

To get your metabolism to go back up you have to eat more than once a day. That's your biggest problem. You can eat like 6 small meals a day and lose weight. But they have to be healthy and have protein in them and not just sugar/carbs.

I took quitiapine for only 6 weeks at 25mg (tiny tiny dose) at night to sleep. In those 6 weeks I put on 7kg! Added to that I take Nardil an old MAOI and basically in 6 months I have put on 12kg.

Really depressed about it. I had a strict 8000kj a day diet and did 1 to 2 hours of intense martial arts training almost every day and still no weight loss.
I calulated my basal metabolic rate, and energy expenditure as concervativly as possibble and according to it I at 8000kj day with my energy expenditure I should be just into muscle catabolism and still no weight loss!!

I hate this so much. I see photos of myself now and I get really depressed as I used to be as cut as hell, now I am a fat shit.

I dunno, I need this drug, nothing else works. Any ideas?

To lose weight u have to eat, and eat regularly. Start your metabolism in the morning first thing and eat at regular intervals throughout the day to keen the engine burning. Your body will store and go into starvation mode if not fed enough. Trust me my trainer made me increase my calorie intake and as if by magic the stubborn few pounds fell off. Early morning and late evening gym sessions will shift the gut, just low level cardio will do it, even walking. Exercise also helps with insomnia, prob not what u want to hear as it sounds like gym isn't ur thing but it's just a case of getting a routine. Good luck x

I was on lithium & risperdal at the same time, gained about 25 lbs REALLY fast. And like you, it's all on the stomach area. Someone told me those meds will make the fat go on your stomach but I don't know how accurate that is? Either way, I have a belly and the rest of me is stick thin.

I no longer take lithum, just risperdal. I've started exercising. I also found by tracking my food that I was only getting approx 1000 cal/day, so I was probably in starvation mode. I just wasn't that hungry? Well, I try to eat good meals now. And healthy snacks.

But yeah. I was the same weight for about 10 years, had a hard time gaining weight. Some dr. told me to eat pb&j's at night before bed? Nothin. Add the meds, BAM. All of a sudden it's 25 lbs.

It's harder to get off than it was to gain it, that's for sure. I've lost about 5 lbs.
When I look in the mirror I don't think I look quite as gross as I used to, and that's a big improvement for me.
I'm not sure what else to do besides exercise and try to eat well.
It's kinda depressing sometimes, I was "the really skinny chick" all my life and now my body looks strange to me. I just need to keep telling myself "everyone else tells me I look good so I must be making a big deal out of nothing". Hell, I'm the 2nd smallest of all my friends. Even with the extra weight.
It's still really crappy though. :(